For the fourth year in a row, PDC will accompany several Portland companies to PopUp PDX Japan, a business development showcase and export mission taking place in April 23-May 1, 2017 in Osaka, Japan.
This trade mission is part of Portland’s efforts to expand its exports through the promotion of regional athletic and outdoor (A&O) brands, designers, and makers. Participating firms will meet with potential distributors, buyers and media partners to promote their products while representing the A&O/maker scene of Portland.
POPUP PDX JAPAN
A product expo, brand presentation and networking opportunities with select buyers, distributors and media in Japan. Held in conjunction with the Hanshin Portland Fair.
Applications to be part of the 2017 event are due December 30th. To apply, fill out the PopUp PDX Japan Application online form.
Japan is the third largest economy in the world, the most Westernized Asian country and the closest ally of the U.S. In recent years, Portland has been the darling of Japanese media, from Elle Japon, a fashion magazine (with a 100-page Portland-focused insert) to the recently published guidebook, “True Portland – Unofficial Guide to Creative People,” to a documentary by national Japanese broadcaster NHK featuring Portland as a benchmark among the world’s cities for sustainable urban lifestyle. The events planned for the April mission will provide a forum to present your brand stories, share ideas, knowledge, and experience of Portland’s A&O/designer scene as well as a foundation for potential collaboration and partnership.
- Network and build relationships with potential distributors and buyers
- Highlight the unique products and expertise of your company to create business opportunities in Japan
- Learn the latest trends
- Enhance Portland’s reputation as an A&O and designer hub
- Deepen the relationship between Japan and Oregon
WE’RE BIG IN JAPAN!
Portland is enjoying a cultural and economic moment in Japanese media, with a flurry of print, broadcast, and digital coverage that’s appeared in the past several months. With the previous three A&O/Maker Japanese trade missions and an overall strategy to build exports and advance our green expertise internationally through the We Build Green Cities campaign, PDC is poised to make the most of Japanese interest in all things Portland.
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE?
- Athletic, outdoor, footwear, apparel, and maker/designer brands
- Makers of locally/regionally crafted goods (Leather, bikes, bike accessories, bags, knives, jewelry, etc.)
- Have prepared their business to export
- Have an interest in the Japanese market
- Have existing Japanese customers/clients
Depending on how many of your expenses are reimbursable through the EPP/STEP grant, you can expect to pay between $3,000-$5,000 (includes travel + accommodations). Export Promotion Program grants from Business Oregon are available for partial reimbursement of the costs for the mission, and PDC staff can assist with applications.
FULL PARTICIPATION (1 week)
- Media event and coverage
- 1:1 meetings with retailers/distributors
- Opportunity to exhibit at Hanshin department store’s Portland Fair
- Market and sell directly to Japanese consumers
- Translation services in Japan
- Logistical support
Companies who have participated in the past include:
Portland Design Works
Lift Label/Older Brother
For more information contact: